What will my room be like?

Most rooms are of double occupancy, although some of places have the capacity for triple beds. Single occupancy is available as well. The rooms are simple with a desk, chair, a single-size bed, and a closet or armoire-style furniture for personal articles.

How will I get around?

Most of the Study Abroad Programs are located in small towns or cities so you will be walking. When we go on excursions to large cities, you will be transported to those destinations, but once we arrive we will mostly get around by walking since many sites cannot be accessed by bus. We highly recommend good walking shoes.

How about the food?

All of our programs provide a nutritious and varied diet. A continental-style breakfast is common in most countries consisting of coffee, tea, milk, or cocoa with crackers, bread or sometimes cereal. Lunch is typically the largest meal of the day in Spain and Mexico with the evening meal being lighter, but filling as well. In some countries, such as France and Costa Rica, only breakfast and dinner are served, but the evening meal is plentiful. In Mexico and Peru you will find more indigenous foods and in the Caribbean areas a Creole influence which is a mix of New World and Old World (Spain, France, Italy, etc.) sometimes with a west African element. 

Special requests due to health or religious reasons will be accommodated, but this must be communicated as soon as possible. 

What should I take?

Once you are registered you will be receiving detailed checklists like What to Pack? specifically tailored to the time of year and place you will study. 

What will my day be like?

Most students begin classes at nine or ten o’clock in the morning. Students will be in class until one or two o’clock in the afternoon. The majority of the classes last for three to four hours with one or two breaks so that students and teachers can get a snack or drink. After class, students return to home to eat, relax and spend some free time touring the area.  Since many business close from two until five o’clock, this is a good time for a “siesta” as well. Sometimes there will be planned cultural activities or social outings in the afternoons. Student usually return home for the evening meal which varies depending on the culture and the family. 

NOTE:  ALL of our students receive a detailed Orientation and Handbook filled with many helpful information including cultural tips to help you adjust easier.  All of our CONEXUS’ detailed and resourceful Handbooks are tailored specifically to the town and country where you will study. Students and parents alike find that all their questions and concerns are addressed. 

What if I get sick? 

Whether you stay with a host family or not, we have representatives available on site 24-7. If a health and travel insurance is offered with your program, hospital and clinic visits and all related cost associated with the visit and perscription medicine will be covered. You will not have to pay for anything. If you are given a prescription, you will have to pay for the medicine at the pharmacy upfront, but will be reimbursed by the insurance company at the end of the program.

How much luggage can I take?

We strongly advise only ONE piece of luggage per person (preferably 25-26 inches maximum, PLUS a carry-on with rollers. A purse or messenger bag with a strap across your body is essential for important papers (ticket, passport, money, etc.) You must be able to carry all your bags by yourself at all times, so weight is a factor to consider. Once you registered you will be receiving detailed checklists of What to Pack? specifically tailored to the time of year and place you will study. 

What important papers do I need?

You will need a current passport that has an expiration date at least six months beyond your date of your return home. A driver’s license, or other photo identification card with photo and your date of birth, are handy so that you are not always carrying your passport. Most times, once you are in the study abroad country, a copy of the picture page of your passport and a picture ID will suffice.